WCC Spring 2020 Graduation
In order to participate in graduation, a student must have completed and submitted a graduation application. If you have not done so, you must do complete an application ASAP.
Students who complete their program of study in the Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 terms are invited to participate in the May 9, 2020 graduation ceremonies. While participation is not required, we encourage every student to walk across the stage and celebrate their accomplishment with their classmates, family and friends.
It is important that we have an accurate number of students participating so that we can prepare accordingly.
The graduation ceremony and reception are held at the Wytheville Meeting Center adjacent to the WCC campus. The times are listed below. There will not be a graduation rehearsal, it is imperative that graduates be on time for pictures and lineup to receive information regarding the ceremony and your name card.
Health and Occupational Programs
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Reception for Graduates and Guests
12:00 p.m. Student Group Pictures by County – Gym
1:00 p.m. Graduate Lineup – Gym
2:00 p.m. Graduation Ceremony – Ballroom
Transfer, Business, and Social Science Programs
4:30 p.m. Student Group Pictures by County – Gym
5:30 p.m. Graduate Lineup – Gym
6:30 p.m. Graduation Ceremony – Ballroom
Reception for Graduates and Guests immediately following ceremony
If you are not sure which ceremony to attend, please click here to view a list of certificates, diplomas, and degrees for each division.
Graduation Information Sessions
For students graduating in Spring or Summer to learn more about the graduation ceremony and the graduation process.
- Wednesday, April 1. - Smyth Hall room 122, Wytheville Campus - Cancelled
- Thursday, April 2. - Cafe, Crossroads Institute, Galax - Cancelled
All WCC graduates are required to wear the appropriate regalia (black cap, tassel, gown, and WCC stole) to participate in the ceremony. (Members of PTK Honor Society may opt to wear the PTK stole in lieu of the WCC stole and will not be required to purchase the WCC stole.)
Graduation regalia, souvenir items, and announcements will be available for purchase in the WCC Bookstore beginning March 2.
2020 Prices of Graduation Items
- Cap, Gown, & Tassel set - $26.00
- Required WCC Stole - $21.00
- Announcements (pack of 10) - $15.00
- Gown Only - $18.00
- Cap Only - $7.00
- Tassel Only (Black) - $5.00
- Souvenir Tassel (WCC Colors) - $6.00
***All prices are subject to change***
If you have any questions, please call the bookstore at 276-223-9841.
- Honors will be based on the cumulative Fall 2018 grade point average. Graduates receiving an honor will be given an honor cord at the time of lineup on the day of the graduation ceremony. Listed below are the GPA requirements for honors:
- CUM LAUDE – 3.2 to 3.49 GPA – White Honor Cord
- MAGNA CUM LAUDE – 3.5 to 3.79 GPA – Burgundy Honor Cord
- SUMMA CUM LAUDE – 3.8 to 4.0 GPA – Gold Honor Cord
- Graduates will be required to check-in for the lineup in the gym by the designated time and are to remain in the gym until the processional begins.
- Graduates who arrive late may not be seated with their program of study but added to the back of the line.
- Graduates will march from the gym to the ballroom prior to the ceremony and march back to the gym after the ceremony. Graduates will be released from the gym area once the hallway has been cleared of the graduates and platform party.
Outcomes Assessment Requirements
Students may be required to complete testing, surveys, questionnaires or other assessment activities designed to measure general education achievement and/or achievement in selected major areas prior to graduation, for the purpose of evaluation of academic programs. No minimum score or level of achievement is required for graduation. Assessment results will remain confidential and will be used for the sole purpose of improvement of the college.
Diplomas will be mailed within 60 days following graduation. They will be mailed to the address that is listed in the Student Information System.
Health Profession program transcripts will be available approximately 7-10 days following graduation. All other programs should be available in 2-3 weeks. Please note that all graduation information is manually entered, so please wait until after the specified timeframe to inquire about transcript information. You may request an official transcript online, or by filling out a request form in the Admissions Office. It is highly encouraged that you request transcripts using our Student Information System if you are graduating from a general (non-Health Profession) program: https://www.wcc.vccs.edu/transcript-request
- Health program students who need transcripts sent to the State Board should complete the paper request form so we can prioritize the processing of your transcript request. Submitting requests online may delay the processing of your transcript.
If you should need to order a replacement diploma, please call the Admissions Office, or come by and fill out a request form. There is a $10 fee per diploma for this service.