Admission requirements are unique for each of Wytheville Community College’s Health Professions programs. In addition to submitting the official application for college admission, you must also complete ALL admission requirements for your intended program of study and complete the online Health Professions Application if you intend to apply for one of the programs below:
Selective Admission Programs
- Dental Hygiene
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Nursing (RN)
- Nursing Advanced Placement (LPN-RN Bridge)
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Practical Nursing (wait list)
Apply Here for Practical Nursing
- The Admissions and Records Office will review files and determine which candidates meet the minimum requirements and are eligible to apply for program admission. The health program department heads will review these completed applications along with all TEAS scores and transcripts for offers of admission. Candidates are scored based on discipline-specific criteria for admissions.
- For programs requiring a pre-admission interview, the Admissions and Records Office will send a letter to candidates with information regarding the interview time and date. Failure to show at the interview will remove you from the selective process.
- Students will be notified by letter of admission status as follows: SELECTED for admission, an ALTERNATE for admission, or NOT SELECTED for admission. Decisions will not be made until all completed candidate files have been reviewed; letters will be sent in early April. Students not selected for admission or who decline a slot may choose to reapply for the following year by completing the Health Professions Application for that year.
Selective Admissions Procedures for Health Professions Programs
(Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing (RN), Nursing Advanced Placement (LPN_RN Bridge), or Physical Therapy Assistant)
Step One - Complete Wytheville Community College Application
_____ Complete Wytheville Community College application
- Applicants from other VCCS colleges must also apply to WCC (using your existing VCCS Student ID)
Step Two – Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
_____ Take the TEAS test (Test of Essential Academic Skills) appropriate for your program:
Nursing (RN): TEAS tests taken for Nursing (RN) will be scored using a national percentile score; students must receive at least a 45th national percentile score to be considered for the Nursing (RN) or (LPN-RN) program. If the student does not achieve at least a 45th national percentile score, he/she will not be eligible to be included in the selective admission pool. Scores from any TEAS test taken for Nursing (RN) cannot be used for application to any other health program.
- TEAS – AH
Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Technology, and Physical Therapy Assistant: Applicants to these health programs will be scored according to an “Adjusted Individual Score”. There is no minimum score required for entry into the selective admissions pool for these programs, but higher scores will secure additional points on the scoring rubric for the particular program for which the student applies. Scores from all TEAS attempts submitted for application to these health programs will be included in the student’s application file but only the highest qualifying score will be used in calculating points for the rubric.
- Testing schedules and study information. TEAS scores are valid for 3 years. Applicants are limited to three testing attempts at WCC each academic year, test dates are typically scheduled between October and May.
Step Three – Official Transcripts
_____ Request official transcripts from high school, GED, and ALL colleges previously attended and have them sent directly to the following address:
Wytheville Community College Admissions and Records
1000 East Main Street
Wytheville, VA 24382
- Official (sealed) transcripts can be either mailed to WCC from the originating institution or accepted from the student, provided that the transcript is official and the original envelope seal remains intact. Transcripts may also be emailed by the institution to email@example.com. Transcripts emailed from the student will not be accepted with the exception of Home School Transcripts.
- Note: Transcripts from other Virginia Community Colleges are not required
Step Four – Request and Complete the Health Professions Application
- A unique application ID will be made available to each qualified applicant once steps 1 through 3 listed above have been completed. Please see the request for the application ID below.
* application ID requests will reopen October 2023.
- The standard deadline for consideration for Fall admission is February 15 for Physical Therapist Assistant, Dental Hygiene, and Medical Laboratory Technology. The deadline for admission to the LPN-RN Bridge program is March 13. The RN program deadline is June 1. All application requirements must be completed by this deadline and all Health Professions Applications must be submitted to WCC Admissions and Records Office by the deadline to be considered. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure all materials have been received and the Health Professions Applications submitted by the deadline. Any materials postmarked or received via mail, email, fax, or other delivery methods after the deadline will NOT be accepted. There are no exceptions to this deadline.
Step Five – Determine Math and English Placement (if required)
_____ Students who have completed the equivalent of MTH 154 and/or ENG 111 or higher; submitted qualifying official SAT, ACT, or AP test scores or high school GPA from within the past 5 years; or who have submitted official college transcripts showing equivalent transferrable Math and/or English coursework are exempt from having to complete the placement survey and will scheduled for the appropriate coursework in Math and English if required.
Step Six – All Developmental/Prerequisite courses and observation/shadowing hours must be complete by the deadline.
The Health Professions Requirements Grid summarizes the requirements for admission to each Health Professions Program.
- BIO141, ENG111, PHI220(HUM Elective), PSY230, SDV100 (REQUIRED)
- BIO141 required a prerequisite of BIO101, NAS150 and may require a corequisite of NAS2)
- BIO142, BIO150, ENG112, MTH155( can be completed prior to admission but aren’t required)
_____ Dental Hygiene
- 16 Shadowing Hours required and must be completed before the February 15 deadline.
- Dental Hygiene Shadowing Hours Form
_____ Physical Therapy Assistant
- 12 Shadowing Hours required and must be completed before the February 15 deadline.
- Physical Therapy Assistant Shadowing Hours Form
_____ LPN to RN Bridge
- Requires additional documentation of the LPN license and transcript in addition to completion of the nursing prerequisite courses including BIO142.
If you need assistance with enrolling in one of the prerequisite courses, please contact one of our academic advisors who are available in the Student Services 1Stop. Call 276-223-4825 or log into Navigate from My.WCC to schedule an appointment.
GPA requirements are unique for each of Wytheville Community College’s health professions programs. Cumulative GPA as well as GPA for prerequisite courses will be reviewed prior to application. Please review the individual program pages for more information.
Background checks for criminal history and sex offender crimes against minors are required by most programs for entrance into some clinical agencies. Students with convictions may be prohibited from clinical practice, may be ineligible to sit for required licensure examinations, and may not complete the program. Clinical agencies may require drug testing before placement of students for clinical rotations. Students with positive drug test results may be prohibited from clinical practice and may not complete the program. The cost for criminal background checks and drug testing will be the responsibility of the student. Criminal background check and drug screening information will be sent to admitted candidates after final admission decisions have been made.