Monday - Thursday: 8:00 A.M.–7:00 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M.
WCC ID or community patron cards should be presented at the circulation desk to check out all library materials. ID cards are made in the One Stop Center in Bland Hall.
- Books -An ID is required to check out all materials. Books from the regular collection circulate for four weeks to students and may be renewed one time.
- Popular Collection - A revolving collection of popular fiction and non-fiction is located across from the library entrance. These books circulate for two weeks and may be renewed one time. No more than two titles from this collection may be borrowed at one time.
- Periodicals - Current issues are for in-library use only. Back issues, with the exception of bound volumes, may circulate to students overnight (due the following day.) Please let library staff know if you need to check out a periodical longer than overnight. Thousands of full-text journal articles are also available online through the library’s databases.
- Reserve Materials - Books, articles, and videos assigned for specific courses are placed on reserve by instructors for limited circulation periods. These materials are located at the circulation desk. An ID is required to check out reserve materials.
- Videotapes/DVDs - Videotapes and DVDs are available for use in the library or may circulate to students for 1 week. These items may not be renewed. No more than three items may be borrowed at a time.
- Replacement Fees - Actual replacement costs are charged for lost or damaged items. The minimum replacement fee for out-of-print books is $50.00 and $100 for videotapes and DVDs that are no longer in production.
If materials are found after they've been paid for, the borrower must present the material and the receipt to the library. The Business Office will be notified to request reimbursement from the Virginia State Treasurer. Payments for lost materials are non-refundable after 30 days.
- Unpaid Bills - Students who owe money to the library for unreturned materials will have their grades blocked and will not receive transcripts. Students will not be permitted to register for classes or check out additional library materials until they have met all financial obligations to the library. Note: Invoices for unreturned materials are turned over to the Business Office for collection through the Set-Off Debt Collection Program of the Virginia Department of Taxation.
Librarians provide library orientation for new students, informal one-on-one and point-of-use instruction, course-related instruction, and telephone and e-mail instruction. Online guides on the library website cover recommended information resources and effective search strategies.
The library staff is available at all times to assist students with their library research or other information needs. Please do not hesitate to ask for assistance at any time.
Books and periodical articles, which are not available in the WCC Library, may often be obtained from another library for students to use. Please see a librarian for details on interlibrary loan services. An ID is required to check out materials on interlibrary loan.
WCC provides its students a wide range of specially licensed electronic databases through VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia) and the VCCS. To access these from off-campus, students need to use their VCCS assigned username and password. Get complete instructions. Library materials are also available in the WCC Learning Resource Center (LRC) at the education site in the Crossroads Institute in Galax.
The library provides a quiet environment for study and research. A group study room is provided for students who need to work together.
Copying and Printing
A photocopier, computer printer, and microfilm printers are available. Copies related to WCC classes are free, and all others are 10 cents per page.
Cell Phone Policy
Cell phone use is prohibited in the library. Upon entering the library, cell phones should be set to low volume or to non-audible signals. Those who fail to comply with this policy may be asked to leave the library.
Computer Use Policy
The primary purpose of the library’s public access computers is for academic research and /or study using the library’s electronic databases, the library catalog and Microsoft Office applications. First priority will be given to WCC students needing computer access. The use of chat lines, instant messengers, and games are not allowed on library computers. All users are responsible for using the Internet in an ethical and lawful manner.
All library patrons are expected to obey the United States copyright laws in their use of print, audio-visual materials, and electronic software. Illegal copies of copyrighted materials may not be made or used on equipment owned by the college.